Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tell me you're not seeing someone else....


View Larger Map

Thursday was open mic night in South Park. I knew my route would take so long that I had no time to go home after the gym and wash off...or even eat. So during a transfer I actually had to buy food from a taco shop. The total was $7.14, by far my most expensive meal yet in May. That brings me down to $349.21. The fine folks at Rebecca's said I could bring my smelly carne asade plate inside and eat it there. Within moments this fellow appeared out of nowhere. I asked him, "Does anybody feed you?" and gave him a little bit of steak.

A new guy named Alexander, who just moved to San Diego from Michigan played his alto sax. I think at one point he might've played the theme from Sanford and Son. Later one of the coffee house regulars invited him back onstage to improvise with him. It was by far the best song of the night. And the always entertaining Kellis played as well. I played fingers with these people and tried my best at an online poker tournament. Two Kings is better than two Queens. Usually. I caught the #2 back up into North Park, but the #10 wouldnt be by for another 25 minutes to bring me home. So I skated down University figuring I could get halfway home by the time the bus came by. University Ave has hills. Mostly downhill from North Park. Yay. It was a nice casual ride until I got going a bit too fast and caught a wheel on some gravel going up onto a sidewalk. The skatedboard stopped, and I kept going. I bruised my elbow and skinned up my shoulder. Ow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is fingers?

Anonymous said...

Its a bidding game, and basically plays like spades...but rather than bid out loud and in order, everyone "shoots their bid using their fingers.

I lost.

Anonymous said...

Well Craig, let me tell you...
Fingers is a very strategic and intellectual game filled with many nuances not readily apparent to the "newbie". I play quite a bit of fingers and let me tell you it's a whirlwind of excitement. Speaking of excitement one of the most amazing and truly un-duplicatable feats imaginable in the game is what I have spontaneously dubbed a "Full Zipper". Some might call it a "perfect game" or "shooting the moon" at other endeavors but a "Full Zipper" is when one of the "Chuckers" (fingers participant) bids correctly on 10 out of 10 rounds that the game consists of. To do that is, in a word, amazing. Just two weeks ago a wild Chucker going by the name CVC completed that very feat right here in our fine city. It was, in a word, amazing. Wish you could have seen it, but they'll be talking about it for years to come in unkempt coffee houses everywhere.